The Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory (HASTAC) is an interdisciplinary online community of over 13,000 scholars, students, and professionals interested in changing and improving teaching, learning, technology, scholarship, and higher education. In September 2015, I was selected to participate in the HASTAC Scholars fellowship program, Class of 2015-16. The program fosters professional and intellectual connections and collaborative and interdisciplinary dialog and research by connecting fellows working at the intersections of technology and the humanities, arts, and sciences. Fellows participate in the Scholars program by collaborating on conference presentations and workshops, authoring blog posts and engaging in online discussions, or designing digital projects.
Through the HASTAC Scholars program, I played an active role in HASTAC’s partnership with the Futures Initiative. This joint initiative, The University Worth Fighting For, seeks to promote social justice and academic institutional change through student-centered learning and engaging pedagogy. Students, practitioners, and scholars explored the purpose and praxis of higher education through a series of workshops, webinars, online reading groups, and online discussions. We examined and discussed issues of pedagogy, learning, labor, access, and assessment through socially just and intersectional lens of race, gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and educational attainment. I also blogged about a number of projects I worked on concurrent to my HASTAC Scholars fellowship, including my research on LIS student engagement in systematic program planning and a presentation I gave at The Catholic University of America, School of Arts and Sciences.
Elizabeth Lieutenant, HASTAC Scholar Fellow
Bill Kules, HASTAC Scholar Mentor
Related Publications and Presentations
- Lieutenant, E. (2016, April 16). Storify from #teach4justice #fight4edu Workshop “Teaching as social justice: Equity, diversity, race. The Futures Initiative and HASTAC: The University Worth Fighting For.
- Lieutenant, E. (2016, March 29). This is the university I fight for: Student engagement in educational change. HASTAC: Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory.
- Lieutenant, E. (2016, Jan 30). Interdisciplinary dialog: Graduate student conversations across the arts & sciences. HASTAC: Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory.
- Lieutenant, E., Cooper, K., Fooksman, H., & Hillary, A. (2016, Jan 26). Ideas in circulation: Open scholarship for social justice. The Futures Initiative and HASTAC: The University Worth Fighting For.
- Lieutenant, E. (2015, Oct 1). Hello fellow scholars. HASTAC: Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory.